Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Monkey Bar, Bangalore

Monkey Bar,
14/1, Krishna Manare,
Wood Street,
Ashoknagar,
Off Richmond Road
Bangalore
080 41116878, 080 41116879


I'd heard a lot of good things about Monkey Bar before my visit to Bangalore. But I was only interested in their food and not in the evening vibe, so I wanted to avoid the Friday and Saturday evening rush. The default option then was Saturday lunch and I'm glad I made the effort to go here.

Its a lovely quirky 2 storeyed bar and restaurant off Richmond Road. We headed down into the basement as that seemed marginally quieter and I needed to be able to talk with a friend I was meeting after 8 years. The crowd seemed really young, but the reviews of their food did not deter me and I'm glad I persevered.


Their menu is really cute and quirky and once I had admired the menu, I got around to ordering. We started with a non alcoholic watermelon mojito and a virgin mangaa. The mojito was a lovely blend of sweet watermelon with sour lemon. The mangaa was a mix of jaljeera and aampanna flavours. They were just what we needed to cool off from the mild Bangalore afternoon heat.


Their hot wings were different from any I've ever eaten (crumb coated and whole wings), but very tasty. The caramelised ribs were melt-in-the-mouth perfect and I would go back just for these ribs alone. The quick gun murughen was a differently marinated chicken kebab.


The mains of jerk chicken with buttered rice and tiger beef were ok. Not bad, but not as good as the starters. There are a lot of dishes that I wanted to try but wasn't in the mood to eat at that point - like the pork dumplings in soup and the kheema bao.

I like the music and the setting, so I'd definitely like to go back again for the caramelised ribs and some of the other pork dishes on the menu.

Rating : 4 / 5

This Review of Mine has been published in the Zomato Connoiseurs's Guide to Eating Out in Bangalore 2014



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis